Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 30

So SUPER FRUSTRATED TODAY! 224.2 Been logging my calorie in take. I did a hour Zumba class and 40 minutes on the arc machine. I'm sure part is water weight, part my thyroid isn't working properly, and part Murphy's Law ( that son of bitch!). Oh well, I have to just keep doing what I'm doing regardless of results. They may just sneak up on me. I won't weigh again till the 3rd of February since I started on January 3rd. That is picture day too. Reminds me I need to do my roots...
So I was Jonesing for some cookies the other night and thought what can I make that is semi healthy. I came up with this

Whole Wheat raisin dark chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shortening ( you could use 1 cup apple sauce (100 calories) and 1 tablespoon shortening, 120 calories)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Splenda ( you could use all Splenda, but I find the sugar caramelizes much better)
2 eggs (204 calories) ( you could use 4 whites, 64 calories)
1/4 cup skim milk
1 2/3 cups whole oats
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
mini dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream shortening and sugar* together add beaten eggs and milk mix. Add soda, salt, cinnamon, chocolate chips and raisins mix. add flour and oats mix thoroughly. Drop on parchment covered pans. bake for 12 minutes.
makes about 3 dozen medium size cookies.

By substituting 1/2 cup Splenda for sugar you save 385 calories, If you use all Splenda 770! Leave out the chocolate chips, BUT WHY? Gotta live. plus dark chocolate has some benefits in moderation ( see web site http://www.allchocolate.com/health/basics/ ). The whole wheat bumps up the fiber and protein. Again you can use apple sauce in place of the shortening getting rid of 906 calories of FAT (I still use 1 tablespoon of shortening 120 calories,It's a texture thing). So no saturated fats or Trans Fats or very little. Whites for whole eggs knocks a bunch off too! So this is as close to a "healthy" cookie as possible.

No comments: