Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cleaning up my MESS! Organizing the scrap area from HELL!

Do you ever wonder how thing just get so out of hand sometimes? My scrap area for example. I sat there with the wonderful closet man, and told him exactly what I wanted for cabinets, counters, and add-ons for ribbon and such. The problem is I never really organized it when we moved in, I had good reasons. I was in the middle of putting on a scrapbook convention, and decorating the rest of the house. But after 3 years that excuse just doesn't wash. I was burnt out. I wasn't scrapping at all. The only projects I did in 2005 pretty much were contracted for publication that is the only reason I scrapped. So at that point I really didn't care about my scrap area. Finally in the Fall of 2006 I started scrapping again and enjoying it. There is HUGE danger in making your hobby your profession. It sounds really good in theory, but when I'm burnt out at my job I turn to my hobby.... So did a lot of reading.

Oops! I'm rambling.

I really didn't think it was that bad, but I was delusional. My scrap area was an unorganized mess. I couldn't find a thing or I'd find after I got frustrated and used something else. I've been slowly organizing. First, I did all my papers. They weren't too bad because of my racks. BUT what do you do with good scraps? That needs a solution still. I then focused my brads. Once I got them all in one place I was amazed at how many I had and the duplication. I got all my rubber stamps in order. Some I didn't even remember having! I even broke out the UTEE! Yesterday I finally after 3 years put my Sizzix towers to use I put all my dies in them. Better late than never, right?

I purged my magazine stash. I seriously doubt that I'd ever use ideas from 1998 through 2005. Even if I would I haven't as much as looked at those magazines since I housed them there in the cupboard in 2004. they are just taking up space I could use for other things. The only magazines I kept were from 2006 through 2007 and the issues that I had projects on the pages. I'm still not sure what to do with the Idea books. I do know I won't purchase an idea book unless it is on a technique I can't figure out for myself. My quilling, Punch art, iris folding, painting techniques, tea bag folding and kaleidoscope idea books were a good investment. The purely "IDEA" books weren't a good investment. They just get out dated like the magazines.

I organized my acrylic paints. I got a cute little basket type thing meant for shower use with a handle in the middle. Perfect for my stash! I can see all the colors easily. I'm still working on my ribbons. I have three very full hanging bars. Not nearly enough! so far I put them in trays, but I have to take the trays down to see what is in them. I'm not happy with this solution. I think I may buy paper towel holders. I bough more containers to put all my quilling and paper making supplies. I'm going to tackle my drawers next! I bought "junk" drawer organizers. I have a feeling I'll be going out for more...

One or two projects a day and I'll be done soon! I HOPE..... I hope I don't ever let my stuff get in this condition again!

1 comment:

Amy Birch said...

I love your scrap space...looks great to me!!!

Someday I'll get there...*sigh*

:)