Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Coconut Creme pie & Other Good Things

My first attempt at making a coconut creme pie! I've made many a pie but never my favorite isn't that goofy? there are so many coconut creme pie recipes on the web. I chose one to try. I tasted the coconut mixture when I was filling the pie. I think we have winning recipe! But I think we may have to try some of the other any way just to be fair...LOL!

Here is the recipe

INGREDIENTS
3 cups half-and-half
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
(I did add about 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring and a bit more coconut than they called for)

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.

Top with whipped topping, and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.

Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

Courtney got her official letter in the mail today that she has been accepted to UT Martins Govenor's school full scholarship! That 6 college credits we won't have to pay for WOO HOO! We are very proud of her!

I got to go out to lunch with Debra. Sushi! YUM! I also got to open my gift. She made me a lovely album! I'll have to take pics and share.

I got to scrap a bit today too...guess 2009 doesn't completely suck....ROFL!

2 comments:

CB said...

Courtney's first scholarship - that is so great! (I'm sure more will follow.) The pie looks yummy - how long did it take to disappear?

Jennifer Davis said...

Your pie turned out amazing, and congrats to your daughter too!